Monday, November 1, 2010

Stories Behind Hymns: Bittersweet

The story behind "'Tis So Sweet" is humbling in many ways. In the late 19th century, a young man ventured to the beach along with his wife and four-year-old daughter. Unfortunately, the afternoon at Long Island, New York would not turn out as expected. A young child had begun frantically shouting for help; the young man rushed into the water to save the boy. Neither would return: both drowned that day. The young lady was left alone with her daughter and it was then that she penned the following words:

Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, just to take Him at His word,
Just to rest upon His promise, just to know, “Thus saith the Lord.”
...And I know that Thou art with me, wilt be with me to the end.

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him! How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus! O for grace to trust Him more!